Transformed into his image - Gracious, John 21:15-24 - Sept 6th
- When was the last time someone really upset you, or that you where really upset someone else, what happened?
- What do you prefer, giving gifts or receiving gifts? Why?
- What is the best reunion you have ever had?
Word - Introducing the series
Spend some time looking at the Introduction to the series together - it might be helpful if you gave people a brief summary in your own words.
Choose one of these words (or phrases) to describe your current experience of being a Christian:
- Growing / Private / Life changing / Static / Up held / Learning / Broken / Changing
Explain to one other person in the group why you have chosen that word.
As Christians we are on a journey to become like Jesus. In what area of faith and living is God currently transforming you?
Word – Gracious
Read John 21:15-24
- Why does Jesus ask Peter the same question three time?
- How is the character of the Father (gracious) show by Jesus' actions and conversation with Peter?
- How might Peter view Jesus inviting him to "feed my sheep" in light of John 10:15?
- Grace is also tough. What do you make of Peter being feeling "hurt" by Jesus? (Helpful if you look ahead to vs 18-19 Jesus is inviting to Peter to follow him - it's going to be a tough road.)
- How have you experienced the graciousness of God recently?
- What were the facts and what did it feel like?
Take time for confession, allowing people to experience again the graciousness of God. Do this in whatever way is appropriate for your group.
How easy do you find it to forgive?
Also invite the Holy Spirit to give each of you a gentle knudge about where you may need to be transformed in being gracious to others. Leave some quiet or pray for one another in this.
You could close by using this wonderful blessing from Numbers:
“The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you
and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace.” (Num 6:24-26 NIV)
Mark Searle, 02/09/2009