Journeying Together Housegroup Reflection
Housegroup Leaders Materials
Sermon: APCM 24th April and all services on Sunday 27th April 2008
Title: “Journeying Together” A Vision for Transforming Communities
Text: Luke 4:14-21
Resources available to you and your group
• “Journeying Together” (A5 digestible version of the vision) Web version here.
• APCM Directorate reports (A4 extensive unpacking of the vision).
• Talks from Bob and Mark, APCM and every service on Sunday 27th April.
• PowerPoint from the APCM here – downloadable from the new website www.sgsgashtead.com/church
• The “Triangle” as an image to help understand the vision. (In the triangle we have marked out three directions. UP, IN, and OUT. They represent the three directions of our Christian lives and can be used personally or corporately. UP, represents our relationship with God, IN represents our relationship with the church community and OUT represents our relationship with the world. In order to be whole, as individuals and as a church, we need to express our lives in these three directions. UP with God, IN with the church community and OUT to the world in mission.)
Our vision is that every action, every resource and every person journey together transforming communities so that Christ is known and His kingdom comes.
"He has anointed me to preach good news to the poor” Luke 4:18
“Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us” Heb 12:1
Open with prayer
Read Luke 4:14-21 together
Catch up time
What have you heard? (Take time to reflect on the vision together, giving those who may not have heard the talks or read the documents time to catch up).
Getting the picture
Reflect on the “triangle” together as a picture for healthy Christian living.
• You could use the explanation above to help
• Or the colour image on the “Journeying Together” A5 document
• Or use Jesus’ commands, love God (UP), love one another (IN) and love your neighbour (OUT)
The Father sent Jesus’ with a manifesto for action. What does it mean that we are sent by Jesus? (Acts 1:8 & John 20:21)
“Transforming Communities” is about action in three directions. What do you find most encouraging, exciting, challenging? (Take these one at a time)
Reminder if needed: the idea is not that we burn people out with excessive action, but that we “Journey Together”, each playing our part.
Think of one thing in each direction (UP, IN, OUT) that you could do to help realise the vision for “Transforming Communities”? You might like to write peoples suggestions below.
Close by talking about the dates in June (see page 4 of A5 doc) when we can continue to shape the plan together. Where practical, you could attend as a housegroup.
Pray together, you could use the A5 doc as a prompt. End the prayer time by reading: “Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.” Hebrews 12:1-2
• Study on James 2:14-26 “faith without deeds is dead”. Week com 4th May.
• Further expansion on the triangle as a tool for holy living, group questions, personal picture reflection and action plan. Week com 11th May.
• June Shaping the Plan dates – having encouraged people to participate.
Mark Searle, 26/04/2008